By Daniel R. Matlis
The Democrats are coming in full force with a very ambitious agenda for their first hundred hours in control of the senate and house.
During the first 100 legislative hours of the 110th Congress, Democrats plan to bring to the floor the following issues:
- Tuesday, January 9 – Implement the 9/11 Commission Recommendations
- Wednesday, January 10 – Increase the Minimum Wage
- Thursday, January 11 – Expand Stem Cell Research
- Friday, January 12 – Allow Negotiation for Lower Prescription Drug Costs
- Wednesday, January 17 – Cut Interest Rates on Student Loans
- Thursday, January 18 – End Subsidies for Big Oil and Invest in Renewable Energy
From a Life-Science perspective two of these stand out. Stem Cell research and Lower Prescription Drug Costs.
A Republican Executive and Democratic Legislative are going to make for an interesting two years for our industry. But as a Zen master would say:”Who is to know what is a blessing and what is a curse?”