By: Eric M. Luyer, Market Research Analyst
The Healthcare Industry Has a New Set of Threats on Its Hands
Connected medical devices-like other computer systems-can be vulnerable to security breaches and have a potential major impact on safety and effectiveness of the device. Specifically, in a healthcare environment, this vulnerability increases asmedical devices and medical equipment are becoming more connected through the internet to other medical devices, patients and/or to hospital networks (also referred to as the Internet of Medical Things).
The agency highly recommends that both hospitals and medical device manufacturers implement a proactive, comprehensive risk management program that includes:
- Implementing the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Framework on Critical Infrastructure Cybersecurity
- Establishing and communicating processes for vulnerability intake and handling
- Adopting a coordinated disclosure policy and practice
- Deploying mitigations that address cybersecurity risk early and prior to exploitation
- Engaging in collaborative information sharing for cyber vulnerabilities and threats
The time to implement a proactive, comprehensive risk management program to eliminate cybersecurity threats is now.